100% Native install

Request new features that might make Gentoox MCE better.
axc97c

100% Native install

Post by axc97c »

It would be really nice to be able to do a totally native install, and not keep the existing C/E/F partitions on the xbox instead of needing a 20 gig drive, just using the standard 8gig drive.

Ideally it would be that you turn on the xbox and it loads straight into mythtv withouth any user intervention.

axc97c
-Natas-
Novice

Post by -Natas- »

Yeah, That would be cool..... :wink:
Life is a Gamble....Only Death is a Sure Thing.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Hmm maybe.. The idea was that it is to be shipped with Friendtech's Bravo, though... which is a media/gaming combo type deal.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
b8zs
Linux User

8GB HDD...

Post by b8zs »

I agree with axc97c; there should be an install option for MCE that lets you use a stock xbox hard disk. In my case I have a stock xbox for which I am using (or trying to use) as a mythtv frontend. I tried using home and had trouble with lirc, and was looking into MCE since its has lircd and mythtv already built.

pllleaasseee shallax, if you could hack this together in the near/distant future that would be sweeeet :wink:
dragon_788

Post by dragon_788 »

If you are dealing with a stock Xbox then I would heartily recommend using XBMC with the MythTV script as that works well according to another user here on the forums. Also doesn't require any crazy configuration and allows you to still use your games for xbox and do other stuff like emulators, music, photos and whatnot.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

however this is a Linux forum and discussions on illegal software is not allowed :x
dragon_788

Post by dragon_788 »

Sorry, didn't mean to bring up something that shouldn't be discussed, although technically XBMC isn't illegal unless you are downloading a compiled binary, they only distribute the source so if you don't have access to the XDK and you download a binary its your responsibility not theirs. But I'll refrain from mentioning any more about it.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

dragon_788 wrote:If you are dealing with a stock Xbox then I would heartily recommend using XBMC with the MythTV script as that works well according to another user here on the forums. Also doesn't require any crazy configuration and allows you to still use your games for xbox and do other stuff like emulators, music, photos and whatnot.

Doesnt sound like your recommending for a user to use the xbmc source for use with a mythtv python script O.o
StickyIckyBud
Novice

gentoox mce fully native

Post by StickyIckyBud »

I agree that a fully native gentoox mce install would be more useful and much cooler than XBMC.

I eventually broke down and bought a bigger hard drive so I could do a "g" drive native install of gentoox home on my OTHER xbox, But before I bought the big hard drive, I had some success playing around in gentooxinstaller to tweak the partitioning process...

It's been awhile, so maybe I'm forgetting something - but no such gentooxinstaller seems to exist in the etc directory of the extracted mce.tgz on the install cd.

Where is the script that runs during the mce install?