x264 on Gentoox MCE1.3 using MPlayer

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
eumoria

x264 on Gentoox MCE1.3 using MPlayer

Post by eumoria »

x264 > divx/xvid/sliced bread

I've started to encode files using the far superior x264 codec but I'm having a problem getting them to display on my XBOX. When the file is played, the music plays (which is usually a CBR or VBR mp3 sometimes raw AC3) but the video will not load. It'll just sit on the mythtv interface.

I've copied over all the latest codecs in the "ALL" package from MPlayer's website into /usr/lib/win32 but it didn't change a thing. My assumption, from what I've searched out, is to get the latest version of FFMpeg's libavcodec but it's only released as a source and my knowledge of Linux is limited at best so I'm clueless as to what to do. The readme from MPlayer's website claimes I need to compile FFMpeg's libavcodec with Mplayer but can I compile it and/or get a compiled one and copy over the file wherever it needs to be?

If I can't avoid compiling the latest versions of both libavcodec and mplayer in order to solve this... does anyone know how to do that on MCE 1.3 (directories seem to be changed from default values so I'm wondering if this is an issue)

Thanks to anyone who can help this newbie.
dragon_788

Post by dragon_788 »

You do realize that h264(or x264, whatever you want to call it) is a very beefy codec and is often used for high def content which a 733Mhz machine with 64Mb of RAM is going to choke and die on? This gets discussed often in the XBMC forums and I'm guessing the main reason it doesn't get thrown around as much here is the slightly lower use as a dedicated media center, but those are the main hurdles to h264 on the Xbox, it can and does work, but for higher resolutions it does so very poorly with lots of issues.