Cant uninstall gentoox MCE

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
gregsen

Cant uninstall gentoox MCE

Post by gregsen »

Well i just killed my F: drive by installing gentoox MCE... yeah i know its my fault because i didnt read the manual but some kind of question during the install (as the home and pro version have it) would be nice...

but never mind, this is not my problem. I formated my F drive with UnleashX.

Now my F Drive seems to bee empy as it should be, (XBMC and FTP shows an empty drive) but it isnt!

When i start the cromwell bios from the SmartXX OS i'm still able to start gentoox MCE native install and it boots a complete gentoox mce.

So i just don't get it, where is the native installation hiding? And how can i uninstall it.

Thanx

Greg
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You've not "formatted" the drive per se. You've just added a fatx header to the correct place in the drive.

What you can do is either keep using the Fatx partition as normal under the Xbox kernel and eventually you'll overwrite the block of data containing linuxboot.cfg and the "Native" icon will disappear... or you can boot Resctoox, run "fdisk /dev/hda" and delete all of the partitions (these are PC partitions, not Xbox partitions so removing all of them is safe!).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
gregsen

Post by gregsen »

thanx... but never mind, i allready took the easiest way und did a low level format ^^

greetz
gregsen

Post by gregsen »

got one strange thing to add:

Before i did a low level format i sticked the drive into my PC, deleted all partitions, then formated the whole drive with NTFS (normal format, no quick format) then deleted the NTFS partition again so there was only unpartitioned space left.

Well, after i put it back into my xbox everything was still the same... i was still able to start XBMC and all the other stuff.

ok with low level format everything is realy and finaly gone, but i still don't get it... if the normal format only delets the file tables and partition tables, where is the difference to quick format?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

This is why I dont trust just formatting my drives. I zero fill them first.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
gregsen

Post by gregsen »

yes, still don't realy understand but never mind... now i'm back to my gentoox pro and works fine.

thanx for your good work :)

greetz