video select/cursor doesn't move

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
spoone

video select/cursor doesn't move

Post by spoone »

hi folks,

i have aproblem. i just installed MCE. now i should edit the video settings but i can't move the cursor. i don't have a keyboard but the dvd-remote-kit and three xbox-controllers(not original M$) hooked up to my box. and with none of the four i can move the cursor!
please help me!

greetings,
spoone
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

I havent used MCE, but I still would think you can ssh into your xbox from a pc. Search for ssh and you will get all the help..

hth
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
spoone

Post by spoone »

i never used ssh but i'll try that.

but as i tried to reinstall because maybe something went wrong during installation, i just found out that if all my three controllers are hooked up (they're in port 1-3;dvd-dongle is port 4), MCE doesn't install. it hangs where it says "Starting Stardust" (in green) at the bottom of the screen. then i tried to install as before: 1 controller in port 1 and the dvd-dongle in port 4. that way MCE installs, although, when i should just close the dvd-tray, it says "cd read failure" (with or without the MCE-cd inserted). but when i turn the box off and then reboot, it automatically runs the MCE-rescue portion by auto-choosing "native". i guess native means the harddisk. so everything seems to work until the video select screen comes up, because i can't move the cursor to select the settings. the manual says, i should use an Xpad (aka xbox-controller) if i haven't got a keyboard but somehow it doesn't work.
could it be that a third-party xbox-controller isn't recognized or something?
or do i simply have to change the ports of the dongle/controller (before installation?) ?

thanks in advance,
spoone

EDIT:
did it all again with the dongle in port 1 and a controller in port 2 and this way i can now choose between the icons of the first menu (dvd/native/advanced) using the dvd-remote. but i still can't move the cursor at "video select".
and yes, i can ssh into the box but i don't know what to do then or which file to edit.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

as far as I know MCE only works with the DVD remote, you can't use a controller. I would unplug all your controllers and just leave the remote in.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

To select the video mode, you do need a controller.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
spoone

Post by spoone »

can it be that my third-party-xbox-controller isn't supported? manfacturer is BigBen.

also:
after the dongle worked, i rebooted the box just to see if something is happening and now MCE boots! (when the dongle didn't work, MCE-rescue was started.) right before it boots, i can now choose between MCE and MCE-Rescue.
but the video screen isn't set up right (as i haven't finished "video select" properly). i have a 16:9-tv and MCE seems to "be" 16:9, but the gui doesn't fill the whole screen so there are black bars on every side. the left, right and upper bars seem the same in width. the lower one is smaller.
by the way: this dvd-ripping feature really is awesome!

thank you for your help,
spoone
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh, yes.. its likely they third party controller isnt supported.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo