MCE, Homeedition / installation

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
DaHaze

MCE, Homeedition / installation

Post by DaHaze »

Hi,

I wanted to install the MCE edition. I bought my Xbox just today (I dont know which revision I have, perhaps can somenone help me, It is a bundle with Halo and a tennis game + S controller). I rad that you need alt least a 20 GB HDD, Is it for sure impossible to run MCE on a smaller HDD, waht about the homeedition? I want still be able to play my games. So how have I to flash the BIOS, or will it happen automatically? Sorry but I read since 5 hours all the articles and with every minute in understand less. I dont know where to start. Is installing the MCE exactly the same process like installing the homeedition? Thank you for every help, I am really interested, and sorry for my bad english, I hope you know what I wan to say.
Greetings
DaHaze
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

questions, questions, questions

If you just bought your box it is probably a 1.6 in which case MCE won't work. If it's not a 1.6 then you're OK but you need some kind of modchip.

You do need a 20GB harddrive (15 will probably work but it must be bigger than the stock drive).

To make sure you can still play games you will need a modchip with an off switch, or one with multiple banks. The flashing is automatic, although I think it is best to write protect your chip then flash it yourself.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
DaHaze

Post by DaHaze »

ok thank you, perhaps I upgrade my Xbox. How can I see which revision I have. Would the homeedition work?
DaHaze

Post by DaHaze »

ok its me again. I decided to buy a bigger HDD and a modchip. are the Xecuter 2.6 Modchip or the Xecuter 3 Modchip good chips. They have several BIOS banks. I reckon if i install Linux will write a new BIOS automatically. Is tehre a source for the original XBOX BIOS, just for the worst case. Sorry for the stupid questions
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Your xbox bios will be safe on your tsop, just disabling the modchip will restore you back to factory finished glory
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?