Page 1 of 1
Where is Gentoox resided in MCE?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:56 am
Hi, I have finally successfully installed MCE 1.0 with Gentoox installed too. A few questions that I would like to clarify with all the experts here
1. Does the Gentoox and MCE sharing the same linux kernel and configuration? (ie. if I configure the samba drive in Gentoox, will I be able to access when i boot up as MCE?)
2. I realised that there is a 4GB rootfs in my xbox e drive? Is the MCE or Gentoox running in the loop back configuration? I would like both to run in native configuration as it will be faster right?
3. Can I installed apache under MCE as in the Gentoox that I have installed previously?
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:32 pm
1. No they (as far as I know) use different kernels. The configuration is definatley different, you can think of them as being entirely seperate.
2. The rootfs is for gentoox, it would be possible to run them both natively but you would have to find out how to do that yourself.
3. You can install apache under MCE simply using emerge
The main difference between gentoox and MCE (apart from MCE being configured to run mythtv) is that MCE has no magic
Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:56 pm
Thanks nobspangle for your reply. I got a clearer idea now.
1. Does that mean the MCE is also a full gentoox that can be used to install all the gentoox's software such as apache?
2. Is there a possibility to enable "magic' in MCE? Magic is a wonderful utility in gentoox that I think is indispensble.
3. How do I read the content of the FATX e and c drive under MCE? I found nothing on the drive /mnt/fatx/e?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:22 am
1. yes portage is available through MCE you will have to do an emerge sync first to download a portage tree
2. You could copy magic across from gentoox but it is not designed for MCE and would most likely not work or break MCE.
3. You need to mount the fatx partitions using the mount command, have a read of man mount for more info.
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:42 pm
Interesting info here. When you install MCE and gentoox you are basically installing a native gentoo install (mce) and a loopback gentoo install (gentoox). So, other than magic, is there any perk installing gentoox after mce? I'd rather not use a loopback install of gentoo on the xbox, it's painfully slow. Or would it be better to emerge mythtv through gentoox?
This is probably a very noobish question, but how do you exit mythtv and drop to linux then?
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:52 pm
If you exit mythtv, it reboots. Your best idea is to just use SSH.
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:14 pm
No way to drop to a terminal locally huh? I'd like to setup a friends xbox to be his only computer at school. Running MCE would be ideal b/c of the fact that it's native