Flashing BIOS when installing MCE

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
kopibean
Adept

Flashing BIOS when installing MCE

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I have read the tutorial to install MCE and was worry about the required BIOS flash as part of the installation process. The XBox is modded with a DUOX2 modchip with the following features:
- Flash bank 0 - X2 4979 BIOS (LBA48-67 / IGR)
- Flash bank 1 - Evox M8 1.6 BIOS (LBA48-67 / IGR)

Will the bios flash required during MCE installation delete the current modchip bios? And will I still be able to the run the original MS Dashboard, the Excueter2 Dashboard after the bios flash? I am a newbies in this area and hope some expert will help to answer my query before I proceed with the MCE installation. (PS: My current Xbox has GentooX Home 3.1 installed)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

First up remember that MCE will delete everything on your F and G drives.

The installer will attempt to flash a bios to your modchip, my recomendation is to put your chip on write protect and then do the flashing yourself. That way you only need to use one of your banks.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, just one more question before I proceed to install MCE over the weekend. Will I still be able to run my Xecuter2/Evo Dashboard and run modded game after flashing the BIOS with MCE?
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I have checked that my modchip doesn't have a write-protect function built-in. Is there anyway that I can install MCE without the installation program to auto-flash the bios?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I don't think so, what you need to do is backup your bios then you can put it back afterwards if MCE flashes over the top of it.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?