New HD installation problems

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
brodkil

New HD installation problems

Post by brodkil »

I got a bigger harddrive to put in my linux box that I set up using MCE, so it flashed my bios and formated my drive. Well I want to upgrade to a bigger drive but when I insert the harddrive, the xbox doesn't start up at all. I don't want to uninstall linux (returning to old bios) and reinstall it in order to upgrade the harddrive. Any ideas of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

How far does the box get? Does the power come on? Does the bios boot? Have you tested the drive in a PC? Is it set to master?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
brodkil

Post by brodkil »

when I press the power button, nothing shows up on the screen. All I get is the front LED rotating the 3 colors, red, green, and orange. Then, after about 10-15 seconds, the cd drive pops open. Again, nothing shows up on the screen. I tried a few gentoox cds I had, but none loaded. The only thing I can think of is to write gentoox mce to a dvdrw and hopefully it reads it, unless of course the flashing LED is an error, but usually an error is green and red. Oh, everything sounds like it is booting correctly. The harddrive spins up, when there is a cd inserted into the cd drive, it spins up and tries to read it. I'll try writing gentoox mce to a dvdrw, but please reply if you know exactly what is going on.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I don't know exactly what's going on, the disc drive ejecting means that the bootloader has loaded and is waiting for a disc. Does the system return to normal if you swap the old drive back in?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?