A few questions concerning bios and hdd

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
mexashaggy

A few questions concerning bios and hdd

Post by mexashaggy »

I have a harware modified xbox (no modchip, just the soldered points) with Linux native hdd partitions that I have been running Xebian on for a while. And while Xebian is ok, I really only want a media center type distro. Freevo is included with Xebian, but I would prefer to use Myth. But I have a few questions about MCE.

1- Do I have to have a mod chip? Or is my flashable bios ok?

2- Do I need to have the M$ proprietary partitions on my hdd? Or can I use all native partitions?

3- Is a remote absolutely necessary? Or can I use a USB keyboard?

Thanks in advance.
----mexashaggy
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

flashable bios is fine, but it is important to note you won't be able to use your xbox for anything other than linux/mce

The standard install expects CEXYZ partitions, but you might be able to edit the install script to install to the entire drive.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
mexashaggy

Post by mexashaggy »

Yeah, I understand about not being able to play games, and I like it like that, hehe. So are there any tips you can give me about modifying the script? I mean I should just be able to mount the iso under linux and edit the file, then go ahead and burn it, right? I don't know which file to even modify, but does that file have in-script documentation so I can have some sort of guidence?? Thanks for your reply.
----mexashaggy
mexashaggy

Post by mexashaggy »

Ok, I did what I should have done in the first place (sorry) and found my answer in the forum. The install script is in initrd.gz /etc/mceinstaller. So I found the section I believe I need to modify (Start block for the end of the standard 8GB hdd), but I have no clue what to make this value if I want to use the whole drive. Another question, after looking at this, is it going to make 3 partitions? 800M for boot, 256M for swap, and 3G for / ? If so, does that mean it leaves the remainder of the disk unformatted? Is this where I can add another partition for my media? Thanks.
----mexashaggy
mexashaggy

Post by mexashaggy »

I got MCE installed, but I wasn't able to use my whole hdd. I dont think the M$ partitions are necessary for the install. It doesn't seem to care it they are there or not. I tried modifying the install script, changing the Start Block, from the default to 0, gzipped initrd, then mkisofs a new image, but i think that broke something, as it wouldnt load the initrd.gz. So I tried the default MCE iso, and it installed, but for some reason, when it asked to either put in the gentoox cd or just close the cdrom to continue installation, it would not read my cd again. So I powered off, and I had an option for rescue, tried that, and it seems like it installed everything. Mythtv comes up, and what I have tested so far works. I did lose 8G, but thats ok, I guess I could always repartition that space for more media or something.
----mexashaggy