Is it possible to get all that installed on G partition ?

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
wildczn

Is it possible to get all that installed on G partition ?

Post by wildczn »

This could be really nice to get all that working on the G partition and by the way keep the rest of the normal partition and also f: untouched

This way we could be able to use big HD like i use and use the rest of over 137 gigs only for linux stuff ;)

If it's possible and you know how please let me know i really want to try all that
My F: is reserved to my kids and all games are installed on the F:
Personaly i really apreciate the way to play game via HD ...

The only way my kids don't make any sratch to the orginal game disk!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

it should be fairly easy, in theory you just need to edit the start sector in the install script. Change it to 268435457 and you should be away. Can't confirm that, all my big drives are SATA
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

So long as your G partition is at least 5-6GB, that should work.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

is this script file in the .bin folder in the MCE.tgz ? If so do I do a find for a spacific are or what? I am very interested in doing a G install so that I can have my cake and eat it too if you know what I'm sayin :wink:
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

What sector does F start at
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I already pm'd morph3usX with this but for anyone else who's interested

the install script is inside the initrd you will need to extract the initrd.gz and mount the initrd as a loopback.
Once inside you'll find the install script at ./etc/mceinstaller
Find the section that says
###
# Start block for the end of the standard 8GB hdd
###
START=15633072
SWAPSIZE="+256M"
BOOTSIZE="+800M"
ROOTSIZE="+3000M"
edit the start block, for the end of a standard F drive it should be
2^28 + 1 (which is 268435457)

save the mceinstaller file, unmount the partition, gzip it again and rebuild the iso then burn to disc.

I've not tested this and can't confirm that it works, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

ok did all of that

what switches should I use with mkisofs to rebuild the cd correctly
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

also how can I edit it so it won't format f:
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

If I where to modify the install script to allow for different partition instalations would you incorporate it into the next release?

I think I can do it and I think it would be a great feature it would allow for larger Gentoox Home or Pro install on F: while keeping E: mostly free for game saves and Xbox cd rips. So people would only take a minimal hit to storage for the E: partition that M$ gave them, and also have an F: partition large enough for a large Home or Pro install with plenty of space for whatever use they may have and also have MCE installed after the F: partition ends on the drive.

It just seems to me a huge part of the linux design ideal is flexibility to do what you want with it. But at the same time anyone out there who wants to do all of this can if they know what they are doing it just takes time and thought so if it's not in the install you still aren't really going against that but it would be nice to give that kind of flexibility to the end user. To chose how they wanted to have it all configured what size they wanted to allow for Home/Pro Installs where they wanted to keep them, and where they wanted MCE and how much space they wanted to devote to it.

I know you are reluctant to do anything that might allow an illegal use of the system. But being as gentoox home is installed on a FatX partition it seems a compleatly legal and legitamite use. And I personally think it would be a good feature. If not I understand and I'll just do it for my own personal use.
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

Editing the offset will not save your f drive from being formatted (which I just found out).

Strange thing is - my files are still there (I can tell by the free space) but I can't "see" them

Anyone know why?
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

I'm working on that I'm not sure yet I didn't have a chance to look at it this weekend cause I was out of town but I will probably know more in a day or two.

But I'm just following the directions they gave in here I'm not a part of development or an experienced pro so I may not.
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

I may have been hasty by saying that the drive was formatted. I'll post back once I know for sure.

what I do know is that the space that I partitioned for drive G through xbpartitioner was fdisk'd, etc. But my old xbpartitioner table has been erased
crow
Novice

succes?

Post by crow »

Anyone sucess of doing nativ install on G without formating F partition.
Shallax on irc told me that there must be edited this line:
START:
dd
seek=

The one thing that i dont know(wonna learn) is how to rebuild iso. With Xebian for me was easy because you can copy XBOXLinuxInstall script to /tmp edit there and just run installation from there.

I just wonna keep F unformated(a lot of mp3,divx,and dvd, just fev games) but hdd almost full 160gb,i mean F partition full, just have 20gb of G for... Gentox MCE :))).
I have download iso of gentooxMCE

My XBoX Spec:
Crystal Edition XBoX rev 1.4
Smartxx v2 OS:3333
Cromwell 2.40
HDD 160Gb(F,andG)
Xebian 1.1.0 (on E)

Thnx for post, and sorry for my poor english.

Edit: some typo error.
Last edited by crow on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow
Novice

Post by crow »

A.K. write this on Gentoox Home 3.2 nativ install on G, will this work for MCE to:
Ok here is the deal for creating a native G drive install.

First off you got to understand the concept that each partition is split by a set number of blocks. Those partition have to be either completely cleared or not touched for them to work. If you do tamper with it by changing the block size on a partition through fdisk, which is the program used in gentoox for formating, you have a chance of deleting the partition table.

Now to create a partition by removing the G: drive you do this. Boot from the gentoox CD. Note you have to do this either SSH or a keyboard and mouse on the xbox, not the xbox controller. The when it loads hit CTRL + C. The type in VI /etc/gentooxinstaller in on the terminal. Scroll down until you see this.

FDISKSWAP=/tmp/fdisk.swap
FDISKROOT=/tmp/fdisk.root
DEVICE="/dev/hda"
#START=15657985

###
# Start block for the end of the standard 8GB hdd
###
START=15657985
SWAPSIZE="+256M"

Change START=15657985 to START=26843545. This is where it will look for the beginning (start) to the rest of the drive to create the partition, knowing that it is already zeroed out. All I did is change START= from F: drive to G:

Next go to this line.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda seek=15633072 bs=512 count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1 fdisk $DEVICE < /tmp/make.fdisk > /dev/null 2>&1

Change seek=15633072 to seek=26843545. This line tells that it will remove all data from the seek number, which was the F: drive now G:, to the end of the drive. If you do not change the seek your F: will be formated though the partition will still be able to be reformatted through 3rd party xbox programs to fatx, but the G: drive will be formated to Native linux still.

Finally run run sh /etc/gentooxinstaller, do not restart, since its on a cd it will not save previous configuration and will formate F: next run through. After that I don't need to explain more because you will be running the normal tutorial from there.

Hope this helps you all
a.k.
Thnx to him for great tutorial...
crow
Novice

Post by crow »

bump anyone.
I am getting a hdd to copy my backup in Monday and thats long time,if someone just confirm this what i post in last post i will start installing without waiting for backup hdd.
I just dont wonna format F partition when install MCE 1.1
Thnx to all