Is it possible to get all that installed on G partition ?

Ask questions about Gentoox MCE here!
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

The one tome this didn't happen to me was when I went with the default 137Gb f: the all went well
I thought it was a flaw in my bios because it woul;d just rewrite my partition tabe to one of the two defaults whichever I had my bios set to on boot. but when my bios was set to 137Gb F. and rest G: and I did the install all went well. Hey crow for you thats not a bad setup you might give it a try
crow
Novice

Post by crow »

Only wolution was to use ***.67 bios that use F till 137 rest of G, use that G sector + 2,and writed in mceinstaller, rebuild iso, and install it :)))).
And in all dash that i use disable looking for G partition.
Thnx all for help.
XBoX Crystal Edition rev 1.4
Smartxx v2 Helloween Edition : Smartxx OS 3331
HDD 160Gb ST3160023A Seagate
DVD ROM PHILIPS J5 3235C
Gentoox MCE 1.1

www.chat.ba BosniaAndHerzegovina Chat Portal
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

if your drive is around 160 that would be good - the kernel partition tables are never overwritten, but my drive is 300gb - and I don't want a 120gb+ linux drive :)

I'm going to experiment with different things until I get it working (if it's even possible), but you should be okay if you don't mind limiting your F drive to 137gb
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

hey chinny can you get you're custom sized partitions to remain stable without the install.

The problem I have with custome partition sizes goes like this tell me if your's matches this model.

I can open XBPartitioner and set my custom partition sizes then format them to that size then go back to my dash (without resetting) and all is fine the partition sizes are correct and I can write to them, and read from them. Then if I reset my box my dash gives me the wrong siizes for my partitions and if I go into XBPartitioner the partition table is reset to the default my bios is set to.

(I have an X3 which will partition a new drive for you from the bios but only with standard LBA48 configurations)
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

I'm softmodded (via ldots tools). Basically I write the parition table and reboot (important that the xbox actually turns off and then back on).

I've been running my F Drive as 270 gigs for a long time with no problem. I've alternated with having a 15gb G and having 15gb unallocated. I'm going to experiment with some things tomorrow (Mardi Gras day, nothing else to do).

The problem (I think) is that fdisk keeps overwriting the on disk partition with a partition table that xbox doesn't understand. The xbox then reverts back to using the partition table in the kernel - which screws up my fat table. I'm going to try booting into resctoox and take a look at the partition table through fdisk and see if I can recreate the partition table after installing gentoo.

Wish me luck
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

Good luck

and just as I thought my problem is unrelated despite the surface similarities other X3 users have experienced the same problem but only a few of us. Three to be specific I think but xecuter is deaf to our cries for the time being well once again good luck to you and I'm back to waiting for Team Xeceuter to fix things so I can have a custom partition table.
wHack
Novice

Post by wHack »

hooray team xecuter announced they will fix the improper reading of custom partition tables. :) So now I can get back to work on this thing. :)
Chinny
Novice

Post by Chinny »

I don't know if I posted this in another thread, but I'm working on the source for xbpartitioner and evtool.

The same patches can then be applied to whatever bios you use - depending upon whether you use evtool or xbtool for your bios hacking needs.

Personally, I'm going to be hacking on the evox m8 bios (Boot From Media).

I'll let you know more as I make progress