Did the MCE install on a 250G HHD and....

Talk about anything related to Gentoox MCE.
morph3usX
Novice

Did the MCE install on a 250G HHD and....

Post by morph3usX »

OK, I have did the MCE install on my 250G HHD which was previously partitioned into 7 Partitions (C Thru G). Well After installation I figured that the music and photos I had on G would disappear, well much to my suprise when I loaded XBMC my music and photos were still intact, meaning my G was still there...Now! I wonder if over time this will disappear to over-writing or will not be touched?

On another note I saw that you can change the location to import music from i.e. hda55 and hda56 in which case in linux is known as F and G, so how do you setup to read the fatx files? Because after changing to look for files on hda56 (G) it show a blank screen but when I press back it says "updating music files" but no new files are present....any thoughts!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

overtime your files will be overwritten, but they may still appear in a file browser.
You can't use files on F or G as this space is in use by MCE
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

even if I reformatted G after the MCE install...because that is what I did and I have things running on G now
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You can read and write to G but eventually you will end up with data corruption as G occupies the same space as the hda4 partition.

You could unmount the hda4 partition, run fdisk, delete the hda4 parition, remake the hda4 partition to stop at the 2^28 block, create the files system on hda4.

That way you would have a useable G drive, that you couldn't accidentally overwrite.

login over ssh and do
umount /mnt/media
fdisk -u /dev/hda

fdisk is fairly easy to use, the commands a pretty self explanitary. You need to delete partition 4 then create a new primary partition 4. With a default start point, ending on block 268435456

Then set up and mount a new filesystem
mke2fs -j /dev/hda4
mount /dev/hda4
morph3usX
Novice

Post by morph3usX »

do I do this (SSH using putty) from MCE or gentoox? everytime I SSH into MCE it never ask for a login but instead it sits and sits. BTW is the PW and Usr media/xbox? TIA for your help! :D
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

My thought was to do it from MCE but you could also do it from gentoox, differences would be that I don't think /dev/hda4 is mounted so you shouldn't need to umount and then mount at then end.

You need to be root to do this so I would log into ssh using root,xbox
If ssh is taking a long time it usually means your name resolution is bad on your network, give it time and it will let you in.